Friday, March 21, 2008

Give Me A Break!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh... my Spring Break has finally arrived--accompanied by a snow advisory and the chance for up to ELEVEN inches of snow! The distance between this forecast and my desired forecast for spring break is nothing less than a black hole.

Easter Basket Goodies? Check.
Easter Dresses, Sweaters (*$#!*$#! weather!), and Bonnets? Check.
Appointments for Hair Cuts? Check.
Adequate Caffeine (form of: coffee)? Check.
Laundry Done? Errrrr....

There's nothing good about this Friday--it's laundry catch-up day, my least favorite day of the week. But in the spirit of positive thinking, counting your blessings, etc, here are some Good things about this Friday:

1. I'm at home with my girls.
2. I'm getting a fresh hair cut today, of which I am in desperate need.
3. I'm sitting here with a fresh cup of coffee, listening to the sounds of my girls playing house together downstairs--without crying, fighting, or shouting "MOM!!!!"
4. We had an all-out dance party this morning to the song, "There's No Monsters In My House!" by some old friends, The Gooby Band (album: Silly Songs for Serious People.)
5. My husband has been especially patient with me and my endeavor to learn guitar, so now I have more than a dozen songs in my "repertoire." I plan to play this afternoon.

Speaking of music, anyone who knows me and hubby knows we love music in all of its forms: cds, live shows, group performance, solo performance, improv, etc. So when trying to come up with a name for my blog, I starting hearing some of my favorite songs in my head. The one that stuck out was "Achin' To Be," a song by a now-defunct band from Minneapolis, The Replacements, from their album Don't Tell A Soul. I'm posting the lyrics because I think it's a beautiful song, and doesn't it express a universal truth? Everyone in this world simply Achin' To Be.

Well shes kind of like an artist
Sittin on the floor
Never finishes, she abandons
Never shows a soul
And shes kind of like a movie
Everyone rushes to see
And no one understands it
Sittin in their seats

She opens her mouth to speak and
What comes outs a mystery
Thought about, not understood
Shes achin to be

Well she dances alone in nightclubs
Every other day of the week
People look right through her
Baby doll, check your cheek
And shes kind of like a poet
Who finds it hard to speak
Poems come so slowly
Like the colors down a sheet

She opens her mouth to speak and
What comes outs a mystery
Thought about, not understood
Shes achin to be

Ive been achin for a while now, friend
Ive been achin hard for years

Well shes kind of like an artist
Who uses paints no more
You never show me what youre doing
Never show a soul

Well, I saw one of your pictures
There was nothin that I could see
If no ones on your canvas
Well, Im achin to be

She closes her mouth to speak and
Closes her eyes to see
Thought about and only loved

Shes achin to be
Just like me

No comments: