Monday, March 3, 2008

Farewell, February

It's been a long winter. Exceptionally long. And of all the long winter months, February often feels like the longest despite the fact that, technically, it's the shortest. I'm a public school teacher in a district that apparently hates democracy and presidents, so we have no holidays off during the entire month. None. And spring break is still in the distant future. So the month of February typically slogs by, and I don't survive it as much as allow it to happen to me. February and I coexist, and when it's past I flip my calendar in relief.



But this year was a bit different. In fact, February and I got on quite well. And this can only be credited to one thing: the Wilco Residency. My husband and I were both fortunate enough to snag 5-day passes for it, and the anticipation of, participation in, and memory of the event made an otherwise intolerable month pass with relative ease.



Certainly the hours spent at the feet of the band were extraordinary, but the hours spent waiting in line and cavorting afterwards with fellow fans were just as exciting and entertaining. Reverberations from the stand in Chicago sustained me for the remainder of the month, and now I'm just a couple of weeks away from Spring Break.


So thanks, Wilco. See you in Iowa.

No comments: